Sunday, January 4, 2015

Findings from Two-Thousand 'n Fourteen

Happy New Year!! I know I'm about three days late with this post... looks like you'll just have to get over it. It has been ages since I've written a post, so three days late with my yearly re-cap looks okay to me. :)

I'm sitting here in my bed, on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, listening to the rhythmic breathing of my sleeping husband. (Yep--I said husband. I have one of those now, and the title is almost two months old. Weird. And awesome.) When I reflect on this last year, I just keep thinking, "Whaaaaaaaat...? How did I...? What if we...?" My mind is literally boggled.

How could your mind not be in a fog,
 when this is the face you get to wake up to every day?
Hummina hummina hummina...

And yet, I'm at complete peace. Things have changed drastically, but I feel at home in this new phase of life. This year was such a journey and I feel like I've learned so much through it all.


Here are some of my Findings from 2014:
  1. We can never, ever judge anyone else until we have been in their same shoes and situation. (Something I learned from being in a serious committed relationship and transitioning to being a wife. I had no idea the sort of time and effort this sort of relationship took.) 
  2. Planning a wedding is hard. And nearly impossible to do on your own. (I struggled! Your brain does not shut off for months because of constant wedding thoughts. It's exhausting. Thank goodness for mothers and sisters-in-law.)
  3. The breakfast at Chick-Fil-A is greasy and delicious. 
  4. Balloons are way underrated.
  5. Travel. It helps us to see that the world is bigger than we are. Everyone should do it. 
  6. Journaling is important. You never know when something/someone big might happen in your life, and you'll really regret not having kept a better record of all the small moments leading up to the big ones. Please believe me on this one.
  7. "H-Anger" (or to be "h-angry"-hungry+angry) is a real thing. (I will be in a bad mood, husband can't do anything right, and it's all because I need sustenance.) Be aware!! Stay fed! 
  8. Take a honeymoon. You will never regret a honeymoon. (We sacrificed to take a short trip after our wedding and it was such a blissful time that I will always cherish.)
  9. It is our own personal responsibility to choose happiness. Nobody else can provide it for us. We must always look for ways to be happy and choose that joy!
  10. Snap Pea Crisps are delicious. This is not a joke.
  11. Hold on to your favorite friends. Cherish them. They are not easily replaced. (I have not always felt this way... I'm SO glad I see things differently now.)
  12. Love is a choice. And it's scary sometimes. But it's the right choice.
  13. Satan uses fear to paralyze us and keep us from making decisions that will bring us joy and progression. We MUST reach out in faith to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ so that we are not led astray. Do not make decisions out of fear. (If I had listened to fear, I might not be married right now. Thinking that I might have taken a different path out of fear makes me sick to my stomach.)
  14. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real. Repentance is real. The Savior of the World can truly change hearts and lead us to becoming our best selves.
This year will be a tough one to beat! Good thing it's not a competition. I can't wait for another year of a great life, and I'm so glad I now get to share it all with the person I love most!


6 comments:

  1. You are one of my very favorite people. Love you Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! It was so fun seeing you and getting to chat over the holidays. And the feelings are mutual--believe me. :)

      Delete
  2. I have a few things to say about this. First: you're my favorite. And all the rest: I'm so so happy you have Bryce. Sometimes when people I know are engaged, I think to myself, 'are they sure they want to do that? Is she sure she loves him as much as I love Shane??' If it's true and possible, I love that you have him. And also, I am on a personal journey to seek out some snap pea crisps. Since I can basically eat a whole bag of sugar snap peas in one sitting by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure do love you, Lyndee-looooooo. Snap Pea Crisps... Shaped the same as sugar snap peas, but much more crunchy and like potato chips. But not as many calories. I may or may not be addicted. Sometimes I think: "These aren't really THAT good." And then I can't stop eating them. You can get huge bags at Costco! And there are different flavors... I just have so many feelings.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post as always. Love you Eliz!

    ReplyDelete