Sunday, June 21, 2015

For Dad







I owe so much to you. The older I get, the more of you I see in me. "I am so sorry, Eliz..." is probably how you would respond that statement, but you know what Dad? I most definitely am not sorry. I am so grateful for all the lessons I've learned and qualities I've inherited from you.








Thanks, Dad:
For teaching me how to throw, catch, and hit.
For showing me how to work hard, and that every job should be done right, and well--the first time!
For setting an example of being a life-long learner, and loving it!
For helping me gain a solid appreciation for an often-overlooked dessert: Pie.
For making me feel important, loved, and worth-while.
For teaching me the importance of trust and integrity.
For sharing the joy that comes from getting to know new people and learning their stories.
For working so hard to support our family.
For showing me how to properly and efficiently wash a car--just like the professionals.
For taking me to the Grand Canyon, and helping me to appreciate all the natural beauty in the world!
For contributing to my broad tastes in music.
For always singing loud and proud, even though you knew you weren't the best at it.
For teaching me what was most important in life--mainly, living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
For sincerely complimenting me and helping me feel beautiful.
For all the hugs and kisses over the years.
For passing down your silliness. (There's no doubt in my mind where I got it all from...)
For always making family the most important priority.
For teaching me how to analyze, evaluate, and make smart life decisions.
Showing me the satisfaction (and culinary delight) that comes from growing your own food.
For always encouraging a good doughnut party.
For loving our country, being a real patriot, and teaching me all I need to know to be the same.
For your humility, tenderness, humor, brains, love, dedication, and testimony.


You have taught me to live with conviction, purpose, and confidence. You are one in a million, M. Kent. Truly. And I'm so glad you're my "Dad Dad Daddy-O."

No comments:

Post a Comment