Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sing it: Summa-time Summa-time Sum-sum-summatime.

I never knew that teachers looked forward to school breaks as much as their students do, if not more. After a pretty stressful but wonderful first year of teaching, I feel so very blessed to have this ample recuperation time. You better believe I will make the most of it.

I've never felt this way about my summer vacation before... perhaps it comes from the new-found freedom of having my own car and money in the bank. Maybe it's the drastic change between major grown-up responsibilities the last 10 months, and promised frivolity in the next two. Whatever it is, it feels good.

Here are some specific things I LOVE about summer:

  1. I don't have to keep a schedule. I can do what I want, when I want, without answering to anyone.
  2. Everything feels... loose. Clothes, time, muscles... it's exhilarating. I feel like I can really breathe.
  3. I can go on trips to see family or friends, and I don't have to rush. 
  4. Matinee movies. No explanation needed--they're cheap, and magical.
  5. Naps. On the couch, in the bed, by the pool. They don't get old.
  6. Swimming and/or sun-bathing. I adore the feeling of being warmed to the bone by the sun, and then cooling off in the pool. Dip, drip, dry, repeat.
  7. Never-ending supply of BBQs. I love me a homemade hamburger.
  8. Having the time to take dance classes--I love teaching dance, but there is something special about taking class, especially when you don't care who's watching. It feels great to dance just for myself.
  9. Reading. Books and time are in ample supply.
  10. I can play with my ukulele every day if I want to. And I want to. Here's a song dealing with sunshine that I plunked out a little while ago. I'm not great on the ukulele, but it sure does make me happy.

It's obvious the joy of summer (for me) comes from being pretty relaxed with my time. And boy, am I grateful to live this way. Work hard, play hard; right? So here comes the play.

I had to share this picture: taken in Austin, TX last weekend. I feel it does
a great job at capturing the essence and pure joy of summer.
Food, family, fun: A mix which can't be beat.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally picture you playing the ukulele! Happy summer time to you! P.S. The sign behind you guys in the picture has an odd message! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on an excellent year with your job! So happy for you to have the break now. Enjoy. I know you deserve it:)

    ReplyDelete