Thursday, June 7, 2012

Birthdays

I happen to really love birthdays. Really. Part of this love comes from the fact that the birthday really is a monumental occasion. (Let's take a Back to the Future moment and just think: how would the world be different if I had not been born? We don't have to get cocky about it, but we can admit, it would be... different.) The other part is just having an excuse for a celebration involving food, people, presents, and balloons. If you knew the birthdays of all your friends, it would give a reason to celebrate almost every day for the whole year, and I love it. (Thank you, Facebook.)

I already celebrate my birthday throughout the year by reminding the world when it's my half-birthday, seven-month birthday, 2/3 birthday, etc. I never do anything extravagant on these days--it's just a way for me to add a little more excitement into life.

Speaking of which... Today is my 11-month birthday. Just one more month until this girl is 24. I don't know how I feel about 24. Somehow it feels so much more mature than 23. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But the real day is approaching quickly, and unlike my pretend monthly celebrations, this time I get to make some real birthday wishes. I have wished for the same thing, every year, for the past seven years, when blowing out my candles and it has yet to come true. Of course I can't share that wish with you, otherwise all hope would be lost. :)

Here are the birthday wishes I can share, without concern of any universal interruptions...

1) I wish I had one of those balloons that looks like a fish and can just float around the house on its own. It looks like it's swimming and it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I want it!
2) I wish I could get a new ukulele. Luda has served me well, and proven himself to be one of the best birthday gifts I've ever gotten. However, I do desire an alto/tenor ukulele with more solid construction and a more resonant tone... maybe one that can be plugged in...
3) I wish I had these turquoise earrings.
4) I wish I could go sky-diving with my best friend. Oh wait; that's reality, not wishful thinking. :)
5) I wish I could get one of those living lockets from Origami Owl. They are beautiful, unique, and right up my alley.
6) I wish I had a Camelback backpack for hiking... my return to the Grand Canyon is coming soon and I'd like to be prepared with my own.
7) I wish I had a never-ending supply of iTunes gift cards. My wish-list has reached a staggering length. I'd really like to put a dent in it by making a bounty of purchases. 

There you have it.

*And here's to my last month of being 23. May it round out a successful year of wins, losses, and overall learning and progression.

1 comment:

  1. The floating fish are better than you think. They don't float around by themselves. They're RC controlled.

    ReplyDelete