Sunday, May 25, 2014

Dance Matters

After writing too many drafts to count, when it comes to this specific post, I realize I have too many feelings and inadequate words. So I'm going to forget about making it flowery and earth-shaking and just tell it like it is.

Dancing matters. I don't care if other people don't understand why or how, because I know that it matters to me and has been a huge factor in my becoming who I am today. Nothing else in this world feeds my soul and body on so many different levels. Through movement I have been able to feel and process a whole spectrum of emotion, create and communicate meaningful messages of hope and purpose, and grow to become a more whole and self-understanding human being. I have always loved this quote:

"Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made."
-Ted Shawn, Time, 25 July 1955

That means dance is pretty important stuff. I remembered how important dance is this week when I had a friend and former student come and teach my classes for a few days. It truly provided me with relief during an emotional time, and reminded me of how much I need movement in my life. I wanted to share a couple videos of that combination so others could hopefully get a taste of what I've been rambling about. Enjoy! 




And remember: Dance matters.

*The beautiful movers that created this wonderful choreography are Jasmine Benton and Majee Bouey.

No comments:

Post a Comment