Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Highlights

I've never been an avid fan of Halloween. There is no magic in it for me. Maybe it comes from a traumatic incident in my childhood I've buried deep inside; such is the case for most adult tendencies. (I may or may not be referring to the amount of times I had a less than mediocre costume... and maybe one time in particular when I felt so self-conscious I refused to go on the class parade around the school. I just sat in my chair, tears in my eyes, watching everyone else file by in their store-bought ensembles that were oh-so enviable. Memories from an 8-year-old...) Or maybe I just think Halloween's pointless. The world may never know.

Due to it's mid-week location, my Halloween was pretty much a normal day, except for a few highlights:

1) I watched Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (I'm talking the full 10 minutes) at least four times. I can't say it enough--I love my job.
2) My commute was more entertaining than usual, despite the horrific holiday traffic. I took the surface streets (for a looooooong time) which made it possible for me to observe people driving in opposite traffic... so many serious faces with hair and make-up pumped for a good time. Loved it.
3) Last year on this day I had Valley Fever. This year I didn't. Win.
4) It was my dad's birthday, so my mom pulled out all the stops for his birthday turkey dinner. This means that pumpkin pie was included. I'm always in the mood for pie.
5) I got onto Facebook and saw this little gem at the top of my news feed:

The newest member of the Mecham clan, Dallin. Only 2 months old, already so distinguished.
I'm grateful for the little things that made my Halloween enjoyable. I'm also glad it's over, Now we can move onto more important holidays. And more delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment