Saturday, September 10, 2011

Happiness is...

You may be familiar with the "Happiness is..." series from Charles Schultz's Peanuts cartoons. A few years ago I inherited an old calendar from my mom that had a selection of phrases from the series along with pictures for each month. I tore out my favorites and hung them on my bedroom wall for some color and decoration. They soon became a staple in each new place I lived, and will probably stay that way. Some of my favorite phrases from the series are:

Happiness is knowing you have a pretty face.
Happiness is a cat nap.
Happiness is getting together with your friends.
Happiness is a blow-dry hairdo. 

Well, I recently decided I would come up with my own list of things that describe happiness to me. Now, I am the type of person who finds happiness in the smallest, most mundane things in life, so it was difficult to keep the list simple. However, I am happy with the current result. (I'm sure such a list could never really be finished.) And I urge you to ponder, what is happiness to you?

Happiness is a day without make-up.
Happiness is indulging in a day of nothingness within a long-term goal of productivity.
Happiness is losing yourself in a good film.
Happiness is getting the giggles.
Happiness is driving with the windows down and the music up.
Happiness is finding a new pair of favorite kicks.
Happiness is finding a new favorite food. In fact, finding a new favorite anything.
Happiness is accomplishing difficult things.
Happiness is a payday.
Happiness is seeing one of your best friends after too much time apart.
Happiness is popcorn.
Happiness is watching someone open a gift you picked out for them.
Happiness is not having to set an alarm.
Happiness is successfully forming something of relevance on a potter's wheel.
Happiness is making a new friend.


2 comments:

  1. I love you!!! :) Im pretty sure one of my favorite memories from high school will be the hundreds of times we were driving my moms van, windows down, belting Phantom, California or Toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss that calendar...and you. And your list is amazing.

    ReplyDelete